The Brilliance of Orange Vanilla Coke.

Orange. Vanilla. Coke. Put that sentence together, and you get, “Orange Vanilla Coke,” Coca Cola’s newest flavor since 2007. Doesn’t that sound crazy? As a passionate aspiring copywriter, I am drawn to particular campaigns, and Coke’s latest campaign works. Here is why.

What is the truth behind this new product? Well, it sounds absurd, and Coke exploits this in an engaging way that is fun and retrospective. How can these three flavors work together? Well, it just so happens it is a fantastic collision of a combination of flavors. Coca-Cola effectively exploits this truth.

 

 

Great ads start with insight into what they are selling. The foundational idea of the ad begins with an adjective and a truth.

Coke sells happiness in a can and decided to do something crazy to sell a new kind of joy in a different way. The flavor of orange vanilla has always been known to be sold in ice cream trucks during the summertime, which is a period of happy memories for adults looking back to their childhood.

BOOM. Weiden and Kennedy, the agency who made the commercial, are not selling a new soft drink. They are selling summertime nostalgia of your childhood when you were chasing after the ice cream truck to get an orange vanilla popsicle or push pop.

Here is a basic “mathematical-philosophical” breakdown of how this ad works before my final analysis of the execution.

Adjectives = Crazy, Collision, Combination.
Truths= Popsicles, Nostalgia, Summertime, and Joy.

This may sound like a lot of bedlams because the three flavors combined are so crazy it creates a collision of thoughts if the new flavor would work or not. Take those adjectives and apply them to the truths.

Coke adjectives + Coke truths and insights = final execution.

imgres.jpg

The execution is the final result of an ad. What this ad does is what a great first kiss is like on a first date. Weiden and Kennedy go in at 90% and meets the viewer, forcing us to go the last 10%.

I could only imagine walls upon walls covered with post-it notes filled with ideas to finally stumble upon this execution. This creative ideation is what it takes to make a great ad.

Take nostalgic music from 70’s exploitation films. Add a crazy car chase with three trucks representing the three flavors and truths, and you have your final execution with an ensuing explosion at the end.

The Coca-Cola truck represents happiness, and the orange truck relates to summertime. Last but not least, the vanilla ice cream truck equates to summertime nostalgia of childhood.

This is exciting, and it engages us because of how over the top it is as the new flavor of Coke. The ad is fun for the viewer because they are lead to see a collision of the three come together in a fulfilling pandemonium climax.

But, wait.

There is no epic car crash in the commercial or one that is seen at least. It alludes to the fact that when those trucks stop at a halt or possibly crash, they evolve into a can of Orange Vanilla Coke, creating an amazingly over fantasized origin story. This makes the viewer come up with their own conclusion.

What made this execution effective is that it allowed the viewer to participate. The ad went 90%, and it enabled the viewer to participate and go the other 10%.

This commercial was the first ad in a very long time to make me get up and walk to Walgreens to purchase a few bottles. When you taste Orange Vanilla Coke for the first time, you actually do find the truths that Weiden and Kennedy sell in this ad.

Remember,

“The Zos Knows”

-David Zosel 

If you want to support my writing and for me to be able to create more content you can make a donation to either of these links:

 

Venmo or Patreon

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s